City Clerk

Customer Service
Committee of Adjustment (Minor Variance or Severance)
2022 Municipal Election
Surplus Lands List

Commonly Requested Documents


Original copies of all by-laws are stored in the Clerk's office. Copies of frequently used by-laws are available online.

By-law enforcement inquiries relating to: Animal Control 71-2011, Lot Maintenance By-Law 53-22, and Traffic and Parking By-Law 45-89 can be made to (519) 631-1680, press "0".


The Clerk's Department provides services of a Commissioner of Oaths at a cost of $20.00 per document plus applicable taxes by appointment only. Please note that there are some exceptions to the types of documents the Commissioner can sign or witness.

Please call 519-631-1680, press "0" to book an appointment. The Commissioner will inquire about your specific document and whether we can sign it when booking your appointment.

Persons swearing or affirming to a document must appear before the Commissioner of Oaths, provide photo identification to the satisfaction of the Commissioner, and sign in the presence of the Commissioner.

The documents must be prepared before attending before the Commissioner, with the exception of the signature.

The Clerk's Department does not prepare affidavits or provide legal advice.

Customer Service

The City Clerk's Department oversees the Corporate Customer Service Division, which includes the operation of the City's multi-line switchboard phone service.

Customer Service provides information on a variety of topics and responds to many inquiries, recording requests for services where required. Topics include, but are not limited to: road and sidewalk issues such as potholes, streetlight maintenance, waste management, Tidy Lot issues, property standards issues and City trees.

Customer Service also looks after the sale of numerous goods and services, including marriage licences, commissioning services, recycling bins, garbage tags, daily parking passes, various books.

Customer Service can be reached via phone at 519-631-1680, press "0", by e-mail at [email protected] or in person on the second floor of City Hall, Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Committee of Adjustment

Committee of Adjustment Notices

The Committee of Adjustment has been delegated City Council's authority to grant consents to sever, or subdivide, property in accordance with the Province of Ontario's Planning Act Legislation, through By-law 57-83. In addition, the Committee is empowered to grant minor variances from the requirements of the City's Zoning By-law 50-88.

Application forms for the consent and minor variance processes are available from the Clerk's Department or can be downloaded from the following links. Please note that in accordance with By-Law 30-2015, consultation with the Planning Department must take place prior to the submission of an application.

Consent Application Form
Minor Variance Application Form
2024 Meeting Schedule

Completed applications should be submitted to the Planning Department for consultation:

City of St. Thomas
Attn: Planning Department
9 Mondamin Street
St. Thomas, Ontario, N5P 2T9

For further information, please contact Clerk's Office at 631-1680 extension 4125.

The application fee for a Minor Variance is $400.00; the application fee for a Consent to Sever is $450.00; and the fee for deed stamping for a Consent is $200.00.

Heritage Properties

Street Naming

The City of St. Thomas maintains a Street Names Inventory.  Any new streets in the City must be chosen from this inventory.

Street names are considered for inclusion on the inventory based on criteria contained in the Street Name Policy and Procedures and Municipal Addressing By-Law.

If you wish to request a street name to be included on the inventory, please complete the Street Name Request Application and drop off or mail to the City Clerk's Office:

545 Talbot Street
P.O. Box 520
St. Thomas, ON  N5P 3V7

Surplus Lands

The City of St. Thomas maintains an inventory of lands owned by the City of St. Thomas that have been declared surplus.
Surplus Lands List
Suplus Lands Policy - By-Law 18-2012

Return to Top