Special Events Permit


CITY OF ST. THOMAS PROPERTY - Special events are events open to the public that take place on City property, including sidewalks and roads.  An application must be submitted to the Special Events Committee even if the event is held annually.

PRIVATE PROPERTY - Special Events are generally not permitted on private property, except as an accessory use to a use permitted by Zoning By-Law 50-88.  To inquire about zoning on any property, please contact the Planning and Building Services Department at (519) 633-2560 or email at: [email protected]

Where permitted and where the special event may affect the pedestrian or traffic flow, because of a higher volume of people or vehicles to a specific area, an application to the Special Events Committee must be submitted.

Please review the City of St. Thomas Special Events Manual to determine whether your event is defined as a special event.

Listing of 2024 Events

Special Events Manual

Special Events Application Form to be filled out, printed off and submitted to the Clerk's Department

Southwestern Public Health - Special Events Notification

Accessibility Directorate of Ontario - Planning Accessible Special Events

AGCO - Planning Special Events

AGCO - Application for a Special Occasion Permit

City of St. Thomas Municipal Alcohol Policy

Application for Temporary Exemption to Animal Control By-law

Right of Way Occupancy Permit

Tent Building Permit

If your organization requires traffic control through St. Thomas Police Services, please visit http://www.stps.on.ca/services/#paidduty 

Hydro Inspection www.esasafe.com

If your group or organization is organizing an event that will include a temporary performance/event structure, please read this.

Please consider the following information provided by the St. Thomas-Elgin Local Immigration Partnership when planning your event.
Planning Events That Are Culturally Inclusive Guidebook

Submitting Your Application

After reviewing the Manual, please fill out the Special Events Application Form, print it and submit it to the City by mail or in person to:

City Clerk's Department
545 Talbot Street
St. Thomas, ON N5P 3V7

Phone: (519) 631-1680 ext. 4121 Fax: (519) 633-9019
Email: [email protected] 

After submission, the Committee Secretary will contact you with the time and date of the next meeting that you should attend. At this meeting, representatives will be in attendance from Police Services, Fire Services, Southwestern Public Health, Parks, Recreation and Property Management, Treasury Department, Public Works (Traffic and Parking), EMS, the Municipal Accessibility Advisory Committee, the Downtown Development Board, and the Tourism Office to discuss your plans.