Marriage Certificates

APPOINTMENTS REQUIRED  As of this date, an appointment to obtain a marriage licence is required. Please contact: 519-631-1680, press "0" for assistance. 


The Province of Ontario recognizes two different kinds of marriage.

A civil marriage is performed by a solemnizer authorized by the Ministry of Consumer and Business Relations and licensed from a municipality in Ontario that issues marriage licences. The licence may be issued anywhere in Ontario.

A religious marriage performed by a solemnizer authorized by the Ministry of Consumer and Business Relations. A licence is required from a municipality in Ontario that issues marriage licences or from the religious organization if a publication of bans is appropriate.

Information on people able to perform ceremonies is available online.


You must be at least 18 years old to be married in Ontario. If you are 16 or 17 years old, you may marry if you have the written consent of both sets of parents in the proper form.

You must complete a Marriage Licence Application. Further details on obtaining a marriage licence can be found on the Marriage Licence Requirements page.

Marriage Licence Requirements - Divorce

If you were divorced in Canada, you must bring the original or court-certified copy of the final certificate of divorce to your local municipal office when you are purchasing the marriage licence.

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you must obtain authorization from the Office of the Registrar General before you can be issued a marriage licence. For authorization, you must send the following documents to the address below:

1. A completed Marriage Licence Application  that complies with the Marriage Licence Requirements.

2. A Statement of Sole Responsibility for each divorce signed by both applicants.

3. An original or court-certified copy (certified by the proper court officer in the jurisdiction the divorce or annulment was granted) of the divorce decree or annulment. If the decree is in a language other than English or French, include a translated copy together with an affidavit sworn by the translator.

4. A legal opinion from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both applicants, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in the Province of Ontario. The Office of the Registrar General will fax a sample legal opinion letter to your lawyer if you call (807) 343-7568 or toll-free in Ontario at 1-800-461-2156.

Certificate of Marriage

After the marriage ceremony, the applicants receive a "Record of Solemnization of Marriage". This is not a certificate.

The solemnizer forwards documentation to the Office of the Registrar General for registration. Application for marriage certificate can be made upon registration or online.

Completed Marriage Certificate Application forms should be mailed to:

The Office of the Registrar General
Marriage Office
P.O. Box 4600
189 Red River Rd.
Thunder Bay, ON
P7B 6L8

Fax 1-807-343-7459
Phone: 1-800-461-2156 (if calling within Ontario) or 1-416-325-8305 (if calling from the 416 area code and outside of Ontario)

Business Hours for the Office of the Registrar General are Monday to Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.