We want to keep St. Thomas Public Library relevant to a diverse and changing community. Help us explore our future by filling out our survey and letting us know what's important to you!
The City of St. Thomas Planning Department is responsible for providing a full range of land use planning functions and services on behalf of the City of St. Thomas and by agreement through the Central Elgin Planning Advisory Committee (CEPAC) to the Municipality of Central Elgin.
Planning Department Responsibilities
The Planning Department provides the day to day operations and long term planning services in the following areas:
- Development and maintenance of the Official Plan and Zoning By-law
- Support to City Council on all matters related to land use planning
- Preparation and review of all development applications (Site Plan Approvals, Plan of Subdivision/Condominiums, Holding Zone Removals, Severances/Consent, Minor Variances, Official Plan and Zoning Amendments, Part Lot Control and Zoning Reports)
- Respond to daily enquires
- Prepare policies and processes to ensure City long term growth and community development
- Undertake research, special projects and studies
- Consult with the public and stakeholders and offer advice on planning matters
- Responsible for the City’s base mapping system and Geographic Information System (GIS) data
Consultation for Planning Applications
Applicants are required by By-law No. 30-2015 to consult with the Planning Department prior to submitting one of more of the following planning applications:
- Official Plan Amendment - Draft Plan of Subdivision/Condominium
- Zoning By-law Amendment - Site Plan Control
- Consent - Minor Variance
These applications are also subject to policies and requirements of the City's Official Plan.
There is no fee charged for the consultation meeting.
In the event a consultation meeting does not take place prior to the filing of an application, a consultation meeting will be arranged as soon as possible thereafter. The application will not be formally received, nor will it be processed and the legislated timelines for processing a planning application will not begin until the requirements for a consultation meeting, and the submission of a complete application have been fulfilled.
Consultation Meeting Request
To request a consultation meeting with the Planning Department, please see the attached Consultation Request Form.
There is also a predetermined schedule for Consultation meetings. Please see the attached 2017 Consultation Submission Deadlines and Meeting Schedule to ensure that you meet the appropriate deadlines.
Current Planning Notices
Please visit the City's notice section on the website to view current planning notices.
To find a public meeting date, visit the Event Calendar on the City website.
Contact the Planning & Building Services Department
St. Thomas Planning & Building Services
9 Mondamin Street
St. Thomas, ON
Tel: (519) 633-2560
Fax: (519) 633-6581
Click here for Staff Contact Information.
We are excited to announce that construction of the Gateway Roundabout at the Sunset Drive and Wellington Road intersection will be starting the week of March 27th with completion by the end of June.
Effective March 21, 2017 the Community Recycling Centre will be returning to its full time operating hours. The site will be open Tuesday - Friday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m to 3 p.m. Household hazardous waste is accepted on Saturdays only.
For more information on accepted waste types and associated costs, please visit the Community Recycling Centre page.
The First Avenue Widening project between Talbot Street and Steele Street will start the week of March 13 and be completed in June.
- 1 of 5
- next ›
How can we help?
A - Z
Pages in this section
- City Hall
- By-Law Enforcement
- City Clerk
- City Departments
- City Manager
- Contact Us
- Cultural Mapping Project
- Environmental Services
- Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Human Resources
- Mayor and Council
- Minutes and Agendas
- Ontario Works
- Planning and Building Services
- Police Building Background Information
- Select Committee for New Police Building
- Visiting Us